- Secure data management
- Applied cryptography
- Mobile computing
- Spatiotemporal databases
- Qatar National Research Fund, National Priorities Research Program. Endpoint secured multisensor interface chip for IoT applications (Co-PI, USD 500,000).
- Qatar National Research Fund, National Priorities Research Program. Extending blockchain technology – a novel paradigm and its applications to cybersecurity and fintech (Co-PI, USD 600,000).
- HBKU Innovation Center. Privacy-preserving video surveillance (PI, USD 14,000).
- U.S. National Science Foundation, SBE Office of Multidisciplinary Activities. Towards a cellphone-based infrastructure for harvesting dynamic interaction network data (Co-PI, USD 249,780).
- U.S. National Science Foundation, Division of Information & Intelligent Systems. CAREER: Providing authentication and privacy in location-based services (PI, USD 489,161).